Today I had my lesson with Alan and we talked through where I was at in my project. I talked through my research and how the work I have done so far I feel has put me into a well informed position to be able to create a slideshow that is effective towards my target audience.

So most of the lesson was spent talking about the user experience and considering key elements and questions about how I would design and execute my project.

Initially we talked about the word count of the slides in consideration with the time the slideshow will take. I have said that the slideshow needs to be 2 Р3 minutes as a guide. Of course this is dependent on each individuals reading and process time but 2-3 minutes is good enough for content and also short enough for the audience to not get bored or lose interest Рand this aspect is very important, especially considering that my project is aimed at 18 Р21 years. Therefore based on a maximum of 3 minutes and an average  reading words per minute of 250, I can have 750 words on my slides. (I will reinforce this by researching the WPM reading speed in further posts but this was settled by me and Alan in the lesson).

However because the slideshow is not just requiring just comprehension of information, it also requires the audience to think and reflect in line with what they read I feel that I should aim for closer to 500 words so they do not feel like they are overloaded with too much information. Therefore based on a guide of 12 slides that is 41 words per slide. This I think is still quite high, therefore I would say that 500 should definitely be my maximum.

We also talked about things such as the typeface, size and font and its effect on readability. Also a big issue was the language used; this was discussed in earlier posts with the fog index but it is the way I structure the language as this will have an effect on how the slideshow is received. Other things we discussed included the timing and pace (discussed above), the dwell time – this aspect is essential as the user needs time to think and consider what is being asked of them. A big decision that needs to be made is the slide structure and how I put forth my ideas; at this point the issue of memory and the users ability to recall what has been covered was considered. Lastly there is the design and visual style. I decided it is good in this instance to use a site/position map to inform the viewer of where they are in the stage of the slides – I think this is good practise as it clearly communicates where in the narrative of the slideshow they currently are. Of course the cultural stance of my audience has an effect on how they receive the visual aspects of the slides and so its accountability will be reflected by the design.

All of these aspects were discussed and are shown below in the images of the notes from my lesson. I have just discussed the different elements of the user experience and in the next few posts I shall elaborate on these and make final decisions.

Figure. Notes from today's lesson

Figure. Notes from today’s lesson

20150309_155835 20150309_155847 20150309_155856

At the beginning of the project my intentions were to create something that would pose emphasis on the importance of reflection after group work. Whilst this has not changed, I did not anticipate the amount of work I would spend on this side of the project and I’m very pleased that I have the opportunity to consider these aspects. I definitely feel as though I am learning a lot of new ideas and concepts and really developing deep thought about the user experience, more so than I have ever done before. Therefore I can say that I am very pleased with how my development on this module is progressing and that I have the opportunity to both develop skills I have but also to learn a lot of new concepts and that my thought process about a media extract has really improved.

I also feel that I am now making decisions based off of informed judgement rather than what I think is appropriate and this is very important and will result in producing media that is far more likely to be successful.